The CoM has regarded the protection of child migrants’ and refugees’ as a priority in its advocacy since its founding in 2007.
The mission of the Subcommittee on Migrant and Refugee Children is to ensure that children in the context of migration should be addressed as a holistic group and from a comprehensive human rights-based approach (on the basis on the best-interests determination procedure), notwithstanding the reasons for migration or the child’s immigration status, in accordance with the Convention of the Rights of the Child (CRC). In the several year’s of the Subcommittee’s operation, it has adopted two areas of particular focus: the eradication of child detention and the universal provision of the right to education for migrant and refugee children (Sustainable Development Goal 4), including early childhood education for those under 5 years of age (SDG 4.2). With these issues at the forefront, the Subcommittee is working to raise awareness on the protection needed by migrant and refugee parents, primarily women (SDG 5), to protect and educate their littlest children and to build a peaceful and inclusive society (SDG 16).
- Contribution to NGO Committee on Migration statements for inclusion in the 2016-2018 process for the development of the Global Compact for Safer, Orderly, and Regular Migration and the Global Compact on Refugee
- Preparation for, and support of the Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights’ initiatives to protect the humanitarian access in situation of armed conflicts to give assistance to displaced children
- Support of, the UNICEF 2014-2017 Strategic Plan “Realizing the rights of every child, especially the most disadvantaged”
- Visits to UN Missions to influence policy-makers to adopt a child’s rights-based approach to migration into national legislation, plans, programs, policies and practices, and to empower children to secure their rights
CoM Position Papers and Statements on Migrant and Refugee Children
- Positive Effects of Innovative Early Childhood Development Programs on Refugee Youth Resilience (2016)
- Providing Education and Care for Syria’s Littlest Refugees (2015)
- Giving Childhood Back to Children in Refugee Camps: Civil Society Recommendations (2015)
- Community Alternatives for Migrant Children in Detention (2014)
Recommended External Reports
- Responding to the ECEC Needs of Children of Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Europe and North America (Migration Policy Institute, April 2018)
- In Search of Protection: Unaccompanied Minors in Italy (Center for Migration Studies, April 2018)